Legal Studies Independent Study

LS 199:

Independent Study is open to officially declared Legal Studies Seniors with a 3.0 UCB GPA and a 3.0 GPA in upper division courses for the major.

In order to enroll, the student must first develop a research topic, then find a Legal Studies faculty member who is willing to serve as supervisor. The student should have already taken at least one course from the faculty member in the area in which they wish to do research. The student should submit a written proposal to the faculty member outlining the scope and length of the research project.

A general guideline is 1 unit of credit per 10 pages of text in the final research paper, up to a maximum of 4 units. Students should secure the consent of the supervising faculty member prior to the first week of the semester, preferably by the end of the semester prior, in which they would like to enroll.

Students who have already secured faculty permission should contact Lauri, the Undergraduate Advisor, for the required paperwork.

Lauri will need to wait until grades have posted officially for the semester prior to enrolling in LS 199 before students can be enrolled.

Note: LS199 can only be taken P/NP, but is applicable towards the 30 upper division units for the major. A 4-unit research paper may be used towards the 30 upper div units as one of the two courses taken in one Area for the Distribution requirements.